Thursday, October 30, 2008

Looking for “True North”


Just four days before the 2008 presidential election, I’m listening to NPR, yet again. One would think I would be on overload to the point of nausea by now, but, the closer we get to the big day, the more addicted I become. Pundits and commentators are tripping over themselves, seeking new ways to say the same things. As they drone on, it all feels like background music with no discernible melody. But I just heard a new note that made me sit up and take notice.

In describing Barack Obama’s campaign, one of the speakers observed that a single, underlying philosophy has guided all of its decisions and activities. That philosophy has kept the campaign disciplined, cohesive, and on track.

This doesn’t sound too remarkable, I know. Yet, it reminded me of a piece of wisdom I have long known but repeatedly forgotten. It has to do with one, simple question: What are your values? If your actions are out of sync with your values, your actions are wrong.

Wrong? Yes, wrong. If you think of your value system as a compass pointing toward what Stephen Covey calls “True North,” you’ll never wander off course. Ignore the compass, and you will surely get lost in the maze of choices available you.

Even though everyone is sick to death of this campaign, this blog post is not about the election. It is about taking the time to figure out what really matters to you and then making sure your life reflects your deepest values.

No comments: