Monday, February 1, 2010

Getting Nowhere Fast


Let me begin with an apology to anyone who reads PRISM and wonders why I have abandoned this little blog. I confess I have been busy with The Writing Life (my other blog) on which I have been writing a book. The writing was supposed to take six months, but being an obsessive soul, I poured it out in about 10 weeks. I’m sure it will take every bit of six months to accomplish the next 15 steps on my list and get it from first draft to published book. Never again will I be cavalier with my students or clients, hinting that they should “just do it.” I am certainly reminded of how difficult the doing of each step turns out to be.

Please forgive me. I am truly sorry for deserting you.

PRISM is supposed to reflect on the many colors of life. I can’t decide what color to assign to my subject—blue, perhaps. It is Monday morning, and instead of feeling terribly refreshed after my restful weekend, I can’t even remember the weekend. It was merely a doubly intense extension of the workweek, leading to another workweek. Suffice to say, I am feeling a bit frazzled around the edges, due to failure to take even a short break. There is something wrong with this picture.

Well (I say, defensively), I have a lot to do. I am SO busy. In fact, I am on overwhelm (my favorite phrase). What am I so busy doing? Well, writing for, talking to, and serving my clients, of course (the technical side of the business).

Assembling my 2009 financial records for my accountant and packing away last year's bills and receipts. Trying to work my way through the stack of papers that demand attention NOW. Paying bills, sending invoices, and all the things the “business manager” (that would be me) has to do.

Working on my marketing plan, newsletter, website, and articles. Creating a new website for the book I am writing. Managing a LinkedIn writers’ group. Trying, not too successfully, to stay current with FaceBook and twitter and other relevant online groups. Responding to e-mail queries from potential clients (wearing my marketing hat).

Did I mention keeping my condo livable and clean, doing laundry, running errands, grocery shopping, trying to squeeze in a social activity or two, and volunteering for my one and only worthy cause (the other side of my life)?

There are two ways to look at this list: (1) it is indeed overwhelming and no one could do it, or (2) it is the standard job description of any one-woman business owner. Other people do it; I know they do. And they even manage to go to a movie or out to dinner once in a while. Obviously, I need some serious time management counseling here. The problem is, I’ve had counseling in the past and seem to have forgotten every thing I ever knew. And (this is embarrassing), I’ve ever co-written (with Rene Richards) a book on the subject called Get Organized.

I think I’ll reread it.

1 comment:

Janet Grace Riehl said...

Bobbi,

I like the Prism...reflecting the many colors of life. This is a good slogan for writers.

Yes, isn't organization yummy?

Janet Riehl