Thursday, July 22, 2010

Keeping it together … or NOT

I seem to write a lot of blogs about feeling overwhelmed; but the truth is, that’s how I feel much of the time. My friend, Bobette, who seems to get more done than anyone I know, pointed out that I am only one person and can only do so much. “You have too many things going on,” another friend said today. “OK. So, what should I get rid of?” I asked. “Not me,” was her reply, not that I would. That’s just the point. What do I eliminate?

Let’s start with clients. At the moment, I have several book clients, all in various stages of writing or producing their books. I am thrilled to have them and totally committed to their projects. But I never realized how many details there are to guiding authors through the gazillion steps in writing, publishing, and promoting their books. Every step seems to take forever, and if I drop a ball, such as a few e-mail responses, I fall behind and my clients become unhappy campers. I need lists upon lists to keep up with everything I’m supposed to be doing, and even list making takes time.

How about self-care and general health issues? This is massively time consuming, especially as one gets older. I was told by a neurosurgeon that if I want to avoid back surgery (and I do!), I will have to exercise an hour a day for the rest of my life. I am nowhere near that goal and doubt that I ever will be. On top of working out the three or four times a week I do manage, I am in physical therapy and taking a Pilates class, all in the interest of that pesky back. Doctor’s appointments show up in my planner by magic. Inexplicably, annual checkups for every inch of my body seem to occur much more often than once a year.

Marketing my business and my two latest books could become a full-time job if I didn’t already have a full-time job. Marketing is a catchall word for keeping up with Web sites, social networking, blogging, and correspondence from potential clients. Whoever invented social networking was one part genius and one part sadist. How people find time to get on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and all the other possible places to meet and greet “friends” is beyond me. I am guilt ridden when I do because it takes so much time and guilt ridden when I don’t because I am failing in my market obligations.

Personal grooming for women is important, but once again, time consuming. Of course, it would take less time if I didn’t have standing appointments with a hairdresser and nail tech who are located 20 miles from my house. Speaking of house—which includes cleaning, doing laundry and dishes, grocery shopping and running errands—that little word eats of whole days.

I know I left out a bunch of activities, especially reading. I am a BIG reader. I don’t watch TV or go to movies, but I definitely read. I guess that’s expendable, but on a mental health level, it really isn’t. Besides, I am addicted to books. Then, of course, in the last-but-not-least category are family and friends. If anything has gotten short shift in my overcrowded life, it is these VIPs. The sentence, “Let’s get together” strikes fear in my heart. When can I do that? I have no idea.

So much for my latest I’m-too-busy-to-breathe rant. Thanks for putting up with yet another one.

No comments: