Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Book to Treasure


Every once in a while, a book falls into my hands that takes my breath away. Life is a Verb, 37 days to wake up, be mindful, and live intentionally by Patti Digh is such a book. First of all, it's gorgeous—full of art and color and words floating across the pages, amazing quotations, and beautifully rendered stories.

The first words in the Prologue are these: "At some point in your life you'll only have thirty-seven days to live. Maybe that day is today. Maybe not."

Remember that line in Jerry Maquire—"You had me at hello"? Well, this book had me right there and never let go. I suddenly realized I was reading a library book, which meant I have to give it back. No way! I couldn't get to amazon fast enough to order it.

This is not a book review. I don't think I could begin to capture the essence of Life is a Verb except to say it is profound, not a word I use often. I wish I had written it. What greater compliment can I bestow?.

5 comments:

challenged mom said...

My sentiments exactly when I read it a year or so ago. I'm on my third reading. It's a book that you can read again and again and again, and get something new each time because your own life is ever-changing, your perspective along with it. I've also given away four of them as gifts to my favorite girlfriends, and they are all huge fans as well. And wait until you read Creative is a Verb!

gwyn said...

What a wonderful reflection on such an amazing book!

Kim Mailhot said...

This book has changed my life in so many ways. So has being blessed enough to meet the author herself a few times, and now feel like I can call her a friend. It is truly a gift to my life. So glad you have received that gift too.
Cheers !

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

Wow! Sounds really great. Putting it on my list!

Unknown said...

I loved the book. Patty Digh's writing style is wonderful-- she's a great story teller. At first I hesitated reading the book, but I found myself absorbing the chapters. It was easy to relate to Digh's thoughts and ideas. "Life Is A Verb" is beautiful with lots of artwork, and Digh gives credit to all the artists. Worth reading. I agree with Bobbi, I wish I had written it.